It’s been more than fifteen years since a highly controversial book titled “Positively False – Exposing the Myths Around HIV and AIDS” was published by Joan Shenton. The work that refers to something that the author calls “absolutely wrong” science of AIDS/HIV can be simply reduced to the following statement: AIDS is nothing but a huge Pharma scheme and the companies specialized in the antiviral drugs production are only getting more and more cash. However, while the author describes her work as the one completed by the so-called AIDS “dissident.” But a more suitable word for the author would definitely be “denialist.”
Where does the idea to deny the AIDS or HIV existence actually come from? According to the information provided in Denying AIDS, the AIDS denial movement exposé held by famous psychologist Seth Kalichman covers a great number of denialists from all parts of the globe, who have tons of theories. As a rule, they all believe that sooner or later, the so-called “orthodox” hospital theories on AIDS/HIV will simply “crumble.” Those who deny the existence of HIV claim that antiretroviral drugs are “toxic” and It’s pointless to see any sort of links between HIV and AIDS.
The problem is that the denialists science is many decades old already and is mainly based upon the beliefs of Peter Duesberg, the California University biologist. In 1987, Duesberg created a paper on the “harmlessness” of HIV and that it never leads to AIDS. Since the late 80’s there has been a solid proof that denying the links mentioned above is “scientifically illiterate”, according to the expert of National AIDS Trust Yusef Azad.
Nowadays, the science defines these movements as a highly hazardous traction. 2009 is a really successful year for the AIDS denialists . For instance, in November a record number from all parts of the globe travelled to California, where the Rethinking AIDS conference took place. The headliner of the meeting was the documentary “House of Numbers” that supported the range of denialist theories.
A lot of people keep following the theories developed by people like Shenton, but the scientists prove the denialism viewpoints will cause deadly consequences. A lot of denialists theories supporters have already passed away. Why don’t they rely upon science and medications to survive? Mainly because of the despair that people usually experience when faced with the new diagnosis. That’s when ignorance is born – people need immediate answer, they are in need of hope. If someone approaches you promising to find hope in the other, “non-traditional” direction, you’ll prefer to never think rationally. However, the reality is uglier than ever before. While some people exert every effort to save their precious lives, the others choose to follow denialism “gurus”, who prefer telling anyone with the diagnosis that living a “healthy lifestyle” will save them from AIDS. That’s what comes from relying on phoney science.
- Tesch, B.J., Simpson, D.E. & Kirby, B.D. (1990) Medical and nursing students” attitudes about AIDS issues, Academic Medicine, 65 (7):467-469.
- Pollard R. Shadow of doubters. Sydney Morning Herald. May 5, 2007:National section.
- Nunn, A.J. et al., (1997). Mortality associated with HIV-1 infection over five years in a rural Ugandan population: cohort study. BMJ, 315, 767-771.
- Lee, R.S., Arlene Kochman, and Kathleen J. Sikkema. 2002. “Internalized Stigma Among People Living with HIV-AIDS.” AIDS and Behavior. 6(4): 309-319.
- Panos (1990). The 3rd epidemic, repercussions of the fear of AIDS. London, Panos Institute.
- Bergman J, Moore JP, Wainberg M, et al. AIDS Activists and Scientists File Complaint Against the BBC over HIV Disinformation. Available at: www.aidstruth.org/Complete-BBC-complaint.pdf. Accessed Nov 10, 2007.
- Goldacre, Ben. No Way to Treat an AIDS Hero. The Guardian. 20 January 2007.
Tags: essay example, essay on aids, essay on hiv